Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gains and such...

Sorry, no picture today. I must download the latest from my camera so I can share. Little Tekla has settled into her new temporary home nicely. She continues to gain weight, she is now up to 3 pounds 4+ ozs. We have begun attempting to give her a bottle, although she hasn't been very receptive yet. She tries, but premies this young have a difficult time, due to neurologic development, coordinating the "Suck, swallow, breath" that most babies due naturally.

I was told yesterday that she actually meets the requirements to take her out of her isolette and move to a crib, but we are in no hurry. She prefers the quiet isolette now and in fact, like most premies, gets upset with to much stimulation.

We have been bombarded again with family and friends who want to meet her, but were doing our best to filter the number of visitors due to her needing less stimulation at this point.

The staff at Children's hospital at this point has been wonderful, however the place is so big (largest NICU in the nation) that we never have the same nurse twice. We were spoiled by the continuity of care at UC Davis and in fact got a phone call from one of the fabulous nurses from UC Davis yesterday to check on Tekla.

I actually returned to work today, although Greg is holding out for a few more days. We both work at hospitals next door to Texas Children's so it is easy for us to drop in and see her. I need to save my off time for when she gets discharged home.

BTW.. I miss Melinda..LOL. I still trying to come up with the words to fully express how we feel about her so I can dedicate a post just to her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, you guys have been through so much, I know...I was there! (LOL) Tekla is such a little miracle. I just thank God for her every day, and that the PE didn't affect her, with the exception of having to come into this world prematurely. Like you, I find it hard to express with words what this journey has meant to me, most of all what you all mean to me. I've had friends ask when I'm going to blog about it, but I'm just not ready yet. I think I still have to get it all sorted out in my head and my heart before I can put it out there for others to see. All I know is, you three mean the world to me and I am so blessed to have had this experience.

Forever in my heart...
M

Anonymous said...

I'm encouraged every time you post. It's wonderful how great she is getting along.

Can't wait to meet her, but it looks like a long line. So many people want to meet Tekla, Warrior Princess and see the miracle for themselves.

Take care!

CLR3

Anonymous said...

Awww grow baby grow...she is so cute and you guys are so awesome. I from a surro point of view, only hope I find a IF or IFs as awesome as you guys!
huge hugs from a SMOer