Friday, February 15, 2008

Teary..

GB and I recently found out that a mutual acquaintance passed away. We knew him seperately, but with this being such a "small gay world" we both knew him. I knew him through a former roommate who dated him for well over a year. Through my interactions with him and the bits and pieces I got from my friend, I knew he had some personal issues, and I suspect they were due to growing up gay. I do not know the full story, but I hear he had a horrible childhood.

Depsite his bad childhood, he was the typical gay man, driven to be successful. Graduated at the top of his class from law school and made partner at a young age. Unfortunately his personal life wasn't as successful. His relationships never seemed to blossum. During my interactions with him I found him very intelligent, thoughtful and not to mention VERY attractive.

When I first heard of his death, although I haven't seen him in a couple of years, I immediately suspected suicide. We received confirmation today. His partner found him at their lake house.

It is simply devastating that anything like this should happen to anyone. I'm in tears thinking of what he must have gone through as a child and growing up gay, obviously without the support he needed from his family / friends.

I was lucky enough to know at an early age that I was gay, and when I came out to my family they could not have been more supportive. I can still hear my dad telling me at 16 "I may not understand it, but you are still my son and I love you." If only everyone could hear those words when they need to.

If anyone ever wonders why kids growing up questioning their sexuality need support and education, this is an example why. This again makes me think of all the people who in world who "preach" and "teach" that homosexuality is wrong, unnatural and can be cured. I just want to thump them in the head and say "wake up".

Peace be with you MS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.