Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wonderment



Yesterday it rained in Houston. We are in a bad drought and rain is very welcome. I walked out of work and began walking down the street, letting the rain hit my face and watched as others hurried to keep dry, to huddle under their umbrellas or pull their shirts up over their head in a feeble attempt to stay dry.

Those that know me well know I love walking in the rain. The water hitting my face and the refreshing feel of the crisp air as it hits my lungs. There is something else i find as equally refreshing as I look at my kids with amazement. The innocence they have as they learn about the world around them. Their inquisitiveness is the driving force behind their motivation to learn.

Unbridled by preconceived ideas, racism, prejudice, hate, their minds are open to new ideas and experiences. Virtually fearless and with limitless possibilities they are ready to absorb information.

Imagine the world, just for one day, putting down their "umbrellas" and facing the world. Putting aside prejudices and hate and having the mind of child, wanting nothing more than to learn and understand.