Friday, February 12, 2010

Eventful week!

Last week we were busily getting Tekla's big girl room put together and her transitioned to her new bed when I received some unexpected news. My dad needed a heart catherization, so the next day comes a worse phone call... dad needs bypass surgery.

So I traveled home to be with him for his surgery. We spent the night before surgery watching the Super Bowl and eating every bad thing we could think of. Surgery went fantastic and luckily he will be going home from the hospital soon.

It really hits home when your parents begin to have health problems. The realization that they will not be around forever. Not around to answer my question about a car repair or an old family recipe. Not around to play with their grandchildren. Not around to enjoy a good sporting event and to tell embarassing childhood stories about you.

It also brings into play our own mortality. I look at my family and see the coronary artery disease creeping ever so more closely to myself. I find myself thinkging about who will take care of me when I have to have bypass surgery, or worse yet, who will take care of my children.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

i'm very glad that your Dad is doing so well. And I'm glad that Tekla has taken to her big girl bed so well. Thank God for small miracles! :)